When you think of onions you usually don’t think much beyond smell, taste, and the tears from cutting them, but actually onions have amazing benefits from pain relief to essential vitamins a healthy body needs to help fight disease. Here are just a few of the great hidden benefits of onions:
- The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL).
- A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Got bitten by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Laboratory studies show that allicin reduces cholesterol production by inhibiting the HMG-CoA reductase enzyme in the liver cells. Further, it also found to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal activities.
- Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
- Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A.
- A 100 gram serving provides 44 calories, mostly as complex carbohydrate, with 1.4 grams of fiber.