Gelatin Uses and Benefits
- Supports skin, hair and nail growth
- Good for joints and can help joint recovery
- Can help tighten loose skin
- Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive tract
- Rumored to help improve cellulite
- Great source of dietary collagen
- Source of protein.
What is Gelatin?
Gelatin is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for optimal immune function and weight regulation!
Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing. Glycine in gelatin can also help improve sleep ease and quality.
Why Take Gelatin
In addition to the health benefits above about balancing out amino acids and being a good source of protein, gelatin has great skin, hair and nail promoting effects and may provide a substantial difference in skin tone and smoothness.
As an added benefit, it can provide extra protein and collagen and helps absorption of other minerals. If you are trying to improve skin or joint health or do strength training, gelatin can help.